A Winter Morning At Erddig





It is no secret that I love The National Trust. As a child, I would visit countless castles and historical houses with my Auntie Marie in the summer holidays. However, it was always Erddig that I wanted to return to. The 18th- century country pile really holds a special place in my heart. I have vivid memories of spending long summer afternoons roaming the gardens and pretending I lived within it's dark corridors.


Widely acclaimed as one of Britain's finest historic houses, Erddig is a fascinating yet unpretentious early 18th-century country house reflecting the upstairs downstairs life of a gentry family over 250 years.

The extensive downstairs area contains Erddig's unique collection of servants' portraits, while the upstairs rooms are an amazing treasure trove of fine furniture, textiles and wallpapers.


It is particularly worth a look for the examples of William Morris wallpapers. These specimens are so delicate that many rooms are kept in darkness to prevent the paper from fading. There is also a marvellous example of one of the first 'modern' showers. Acting like a giant watering can, the user stood underneath whilst hot water was poured in by a kindly servant above.


The gardens also house an early example of a family swimming pool and have excellent views of the surrounding Welsh countryside. 

It has become something of a family tradition to visit Erddig's annual Christmas Market. It is a treasure trove of locally made textiles, ceramics, toiletries and not to mention FOOD. I never miss it! The market runs on weekends in early December and I usually go on the last Sunday to grab some bargains and a mulled wine.... or two. 

Hope you enjoy my photos!



On Sunday, The National Trust had asked visitors to decorate this tree with tags that described their personal festive traditions. 
































The North Wales Owl Sanctuary were also raising money for numerous endangered species. They even let you have a cuddle for a small donation. I love owls! 








Do you have any festive traditions?

Holly xx

Comments

Popular Posts