Free Adventures - Birkenhead Park

I thought I would do a regular Sunday post all about places to go for free in the North West. 

Everybody likes a free day out!

Let's kick things off with Birkenhead Park.




A short shuffle from my flat, Birkenhead Park's claim to fame is that it is the park which New York's infamous Central Park is modelled on. The two parks are a pretty similar in size so you really can spend a whole afternoon exploring. 




Being located slap bang in the middle of Birkenhead does mean the park attracts a varied mix of interesting individuals, but that's all part of the fun. Just this afternoon I met a lovely lady who was walking her Guinea Pig (pink lead and all) Sadly I didn't manage to capture the moment on film. 




I did find this Squirrel. (Which Lolly promptly chased!)


Here's what Frederick Law Olmsted had to say about Birkenhead Park after visiting in 1850.





"five minutes of admiration, and a few more spent studying the manner in which art had been employed to obtain from nature so much beauty, and I was ready to admit that in democratic America there was nothing to be thought of as comparable with this People’s Garden"


Lolly agrees! 




So why not give it a try? 


If only for the Mr Whippy....

Hope you enjoyed my photos! 

xxx Holly 

Comments

Popular Posts